José Ignacio MercadoCounsel
+56 2 2928 2612
Counsel of Carey's Data Protection and Technology group. His practice focuses on matters related to privacy, data protection and cybersecurity, as well as intellectual property and the development of strategies to protect intellectual and industrial property, including preparation, negotiation and implementation of technology transfer agreements such as licensing agreements, franchising agreements, distribution agreements, etc.
He also has experience assisting technology companies with the preparation and implementation of commercial scaling-up and go-to-market actions, both in Chile and abroad.
His practice also includes advice on regulation in the pharmaceutical, cosmetic, food, and medical devices industries, as well as on topics regarding marketing and promotion of these products.
- Crystal Lagoons, the first Chilean Unicorn, with offices in the US and The Netherlands, on the prosecution and enforcement of its patents in more than 190 countries, including technology license agreements. Crystal Lagoons developed and patented a state-of-the-art technology that keeps crystalline water lagoons of unlimited sizes at low costs.
- Various national and international companies on the preparation of terms and conditions and privacy policies, for several industries (pharmaceutical, medical devices, banking, B2C, clinical studies, etc.)
- A national biometric identification services company on a business line divestment process.
- Various domestic and foreign clients on negotiations of technology transfer contracts, including licensing, SaaS, distribution, etc.
- A major retail company on the negotiation of the termination of a technology services contract.
- A major national restaurant chain on the design and preparation of its franchise agreements.
- Algramo on the negotiation of several contracts for the development of hardware.
- A major food company on the review and design of new privacy policies and terms and conditions of use aligned with new SERNAC criteria.
- A professional soccer club concessionaire on the review of its contracts and licenses for the use of Blockchain and NFTs.
- A technology company that owns the rights to an irrigation control technology platform, on its commercial scaling and expansion process.
- National and international companies on matters related to health inspection proceedings in the food, pharmaceutical, cosmetic, and medical devices industries.
- A medical devices company on its defense in an administrative proceeding, obtaining the reduction of fines from USD100,000 to USD2,000.
- Several pharmaceutical and medical devices companies on public tenders, direct deals and public procurement procedures.
AWARDS AND RECOGNITIONS
- Recognized in Life Sciences, Chambers Latin America.
- Recognized in Data Privacy, The Legal 500.
ACTIVITIES AND MEMBERSHIPS
- Legal Director, Crystal Lagoons, The Netherlands/Chile (2015-2018).
- Law, Universidad de Chile (Summa Cum Laude).
- Chile (2009).