Skip to content
- Goldman Sachs, as the sole global coordinator, bookrunner, initial purchaser and commitment provider, on a USD489 million zero coupon senior secured notes issuance due 2028 issued by Chile Electricity PEC SpA under Rule 144A/Regulation S of the United States Securities Act of 1933. The proceeds were used by Chile Electricity PEC SpA to purchase certain receivables from the main energy generation companies in Chile originated under Law No. 21,185, which temporarily stabilized the electricity tariffs.
- Brookfield Asset Management on a mezzanine financing for the construction and operation of two renewable energy plants (Cerro Dominador Project) located in the Antofagasta region: a 110MW concentrated solar plant (utilizing molten salt technology) and a 100MW solar photovoltaic plant, that jointly will provide 210MW of base load renewable capacity to the Chilean electrical grid.
- Sempra/Chilquinta on the acquisition of Compañía Transmisora del Norte Grande, owned by AES Gener and its subsidiary Eléctrica Angamos, for USD219 million, consisting of 316 kms. of transmission lines located in the regions of Antofagasta, Valparaíso and Metropolitana.
- CVC Capital Partners on the local aspects of the acquisition of a 20% stake in Gas Natural Fenosa, owned by Repsol, a Spanish oil and gas company for USD4.7 billion (globally).
- Andes Mainstream on the "Supply Tender Process 2015/01" bidding process, and the successful awarding of 3,366 GWh/year to supply energy to the distribution companies of a total of 12,430 GWh/year.
- Total / Sunpower on the negotiation of a Power Purchase Agreement to supply 60% of Metro's energy demand. Metro is a state-owned subway that transports more than 662 million of people annually.
- Acciona Energía on the purchase agreement of San Gabriel project, a wind farm of 183MW installed capacity and 61 wind turbine generators, and of Tolchén Transmission Line. Carey also advised Acciona Energía on the interconnection agreement to connect the San Gabriel project to the Central Interconnected System, through the Tolchén Transmission Line.
- Trina Solar on the joint venture with Grenergy Renovables for the development, construction and operation of two distributed solar plants.
- China Power Investment Corporation on the due diligence and acquisition of two hydropower plants from Besalco Energía, one of Chile’s largest construction and infrastructure conglomerates, for approx. USD40 million.
- Trafigura through its Chilean subsidiary Puma Energy, on the tender process carried out by Petrobras to dispose all of its Chilean, Uruguayan and Paraguayan downstream business (combustible distribution).
- IFC, OPIC and IADB on the financing of the hydroelectric project Alto Maipo, property of AES Gener, for approx. USD1.2 billion.
- Andes Mainstream, Grupo Mondragón, Hunt, Nordex, Atiaia, Aaktei, Hydrowac and Electroaustral, among others, on the development of solar, wind and hydroelectric projects.
- Chilean Ministry of Energy on a major change to a legal project that aims to change the current regulation regarding transmission in order to obtain more expedite construction permits and stronger transmission capacity as well as tariff and environmental certainties in Chile.
AWARDS AND RECOGNITIONS
- Recognized in Energy and Natural Resources; and Projects, Chambers Latin America.
- Recognized in Electricity, Oil and Gas, The Legal 500.
- Recognized in Energy, Latin Lawyer 250.
- Recognized in Project Development, IFLR1000.
- Recognized in Mining, Energy and Project Finance, Who’s Who Legal.
- Recognized as Thought Leader in Energy, LACCA.
- Recognized in Energy, Natural Resources, Oil and Gas and Project Finance and Development, Best Lawyers.
- Recognized in Energy, Natural Resources and Projects, Top Ranked Legal.
- Named Lawyer of the Year in Energy, Best Lawyers (2016).
ACTIVITIES AND MEMBERSHIPS
- Member of the Advisory Council, Chilean Arab Chamber of Commerce and Investments.
- Member of the Council, Asociación Chilena de Energías Renovables (ACERA) (2017-2018).
- Member of the Council, World Energy Council (WEC).
- Founder and former vicechairman, Small and Mid-sized Hydro Projects Association (APEMEC).
- Member of the Energy Technical Commission, Confederación de la Producción y el Comercio (CPC).
- Member of the Chilean Bar Association.
- Vicechairman, Fundación Mi Parque.
- Past president of the Chilean-Australian Chamber of Commerce (2010-2016).
- Invited scholar the Master of Energy Law, School of Law, Universidad Externado de Colombia (2012-2014).
- Member of the Board of Instituto Libertad, El Líbero and Fundación Independízate.
- Member of the International Bar Association.
- Member of the Council of the IBA SEERIL Section of the Environment Energy Resources & Infrastructure Law.
- Co-author of the SIC-SING interconnection bill, which was signed into law in 2013 (Law N° 20,726).
- Member of the Drafting Committee of the Public Electric Highway, presented before Congress by President Sebastián Piñera in 2012.
- Member of the Chilean Energy Ministry’s Drafting Committee for the NCRE bill, which was signed into law in 2010 (Law N° 20,698).
- Past president of the Power Law Committee, International Bar Association (2011 and 2012).
- Assistant professor of Mining Law, Universidad de Chile (2001-2008).
- Foreign associate, Cleary, Gottlieb, Steen & Hamilton, New York (2000-2001).
- Assistant professor of Civil Law, Universidad Diego Portales (1998).
- Co-author of the Chilean chapter of Construction and Projects Q&As Global Guide, Thomson Reuters (2018-2020).
- Co-author of the Chilean chapter of "Foreign Investment in South America: A Comprehensive Guide to Infrastructure and the Legal Environment", American Bar Association (2018).
- Co-author of Electricity Projects & Regulations, Latin Lawyer (2015-2017).
- Author of the Annual Report: Energy and Utilities, Financier Worldwide (2013).
- Co-author of the Chilean chapter on Energy, First Edition, Global Legal Insights, Global Legal Group (2012).
- Author of the Chilean chapter of Electricity Regulation, Getting the Deal Through (2007-2009).
- Frequent lecturer in local and international seminars and conferences, such as the International Bar Association, Texas Bar Association, Rocky Mountain Mineral Law Foundation, Enagás and Green World Conferences, etc.
- Law, Universidad Católica de Chile.
- LL.M., Duke University Law School (2000).
- Program of Instruction for Lawyers, Harvard University (2000).