+56 2 2928 2217
Partner of Carey and co-head of the firm’s Venture Capital, Private Equity, Fintech and Mergers & Acquisitions Groups. His practice focuses on representing local and foreign clients in mergers and acquisitions of companies, creation and structuring of investment funds, and investment in portfolio companies. He has vast experience in the internationalization of companies, international investments and cross border operations.
- Funds and corporate ventures such as CMPC Ventures, Cencosud Ventures, Grupo Emasa, Aurus Capital, Genesis Ventures, Manutara Ventures, Screen Capital, WeBoost, ALLVP, Krealo and Zentynel Ventures on their investments in technology start-ups.
- Foreign start-ups operating in Chile, such as Minesense Technology, Jetti Resources, Open English, PedidosYa, Science Haven, Véndenos Tu Auto and Levita Magnetics, on their operations in Chile and on financing rounds.
- Chilean start-ups and accelerators, such as Phage Technologies, WiseConn, Legría, Checkeados, IntiTech, TIMining, HUBTEC, HUB Apta, Kura Biotech, Andes Biotechnologies, Nova Mineralis and Defontana, on their structuring, incorporation and/or financing rounds.
- Fintech companies, such as NuBank, Jeeves, Tenpo Prepago, Kredito, Doble Impacto, Lisa Insurtech, Shinkansen and investors of Xepelin and Migrante, among others, on their operations, especially regarding the regulations applicable to the local Fintech industry.
AWARDS AND RECOGNITIONS
- Named Lawyer of the Year in Investment, Best Lawyers (2022).
- Recognized in Venture Capital and Corporate M&A, Chambers & Partners.
- Recognized in Corporate and M&A and Venture Capital, The Legal 500.
- Recognized in Corporate and M&A, Capital Markets and Private Equity, Latin Lawyer 250.
- Recognized in Capital Markets: Equity and M&A, IFLR1000.
- Recognized in Capital Markets, Corporate and M&A, Investment, Private Equity and Venture Capital, Best Lawyers.
- Recognized in Capital Investment: Start-ups & Innovation, Corporate M&A and Fintech, Leaders League.
- Recognized in Venture Capital, Capital Markets: Equity, Corporate/M&A, Top Ranked Legal.
- Recognized as Best Individual Lawyer in Private Funds in Chile, Client Choice (2020).
ACTIVITIES AND MEMBERSHIPS
- President, Chilean Venture Capital Association (ACVC).
- Member of the Advisory Board of the Columbia Global Center.
- Director, InBest Chile.
- Chair of the Latin American Regional Council, World Services Group.
- Postgraduate professor in venture capital and corporate law, Universidad Católica de Chile, Universidad de los Andes and Universidad Adolfo Ibáñez.
- Member of the New York State Bar Association.
- Member of the Chilean Bar Association.
- Co-author of the Chilean chapter "Alternative Investment Funds", ICLG (2021 and 2022).
- Co-author of the Chilean chapter in "ESG and Impact Investing", Lexology Getting the Deal Through (2021, 2022 and 2023).
- Recurring columnist about venture capital news, Revista Industria Legal.
- Advisor, Steward-Ownership, a Short Guidebook to Legal Frameworks, Purpose Foundation (2021).
- Author of the Chilean chapter in TTR Transactional Impact Report - Andean Region, Transactional Track Record (2020).
- Co-author of the article "Regulatory Overview of Fintechs in Chile" in the book "Fintech: Legal Aspects", Cetys, Universidad de San Andrés, Argentina (2019).
- Author of the book "Inside Information in the Securities Market", LexisNexis (2007), and 2nd edition (2009).
- Frequent lecturer of venture capital, private equity and investment opportunities matters, among others, in legal seminars, meetings and conferences both in Chile and abroad.
- Law, Universidad Católica de Chile.
- LL.M., Columbia University (James Kent Scholar, the highest honors awarded by Columbia Law School) (2010).
- Chile (2006).
- New York (2011).