Partner of Carey and co-head of the firm’s Natural Resources and Environment Group. His practice focuses on natural resources, mining, water rights, energy, environment, surface lands, project financing, and corporate and commercial law.
Awards and Recognitions
- Recognized as Leading Individual in Mining and Projects, Chambers Latin America.
- Recognized in Mining, Legal 500.
- Recognized in Mining & Metals, Latin Lawyer 250.
- Ranked as Most Highly Regarded Individual in Mining, Who’s Who Legal.
- Elected Best Undergraduate Professor Award, Universidad de Chile Law School.
- Recognized as Lawyer of the Year in Energy and Natural Resources, Best Lawyers (2014-2016).
- Recognized in Energy, Environmental, Natural Resources and Project Finance and Development, Best Lawyers.
- Recognized in Energy, LACCA.
- Recognized in Energy, Who’s Who Legal.
- Winner in the Natural Resources: Mining Category, Leading Lawyers, Idealis (2013 and 2015).
- Law, Universidad de Chile.
- Participant, Academy of American and International Law, Southwestern Legal Foundation, Dallas (USA) (1993).
- Program of Instruction for Lawyers, Harvard University, Boston (USA) (1997).
Author of several legal publications, including the Chilean chapter on Mining, Getting the Deal Through (2010-2013).
- Special courses on mining law for judges and members of the Courts of Appeals, organized by the Judiciary Academy of Chile.
- Presented papers on Chilean mining, energy, natural resources regulations and environment at numerous seminars, both in Chile and abroad.
Activities and Memberships
- Professor of Mining Law at the Universidad de Chile (since 1996), and at the Universidad de los Andes (since 2003).
- Trustee at Large of the Rocky Mountain Mineral Law Foundation (2012-2015).
- Member of the Chilean Bar Association. Member of its board (2006-2011).
- Visiting Professor in several graduate studies and Master Degree Programs on Natural Resources Law at several Chilean Universities.
- Member of the panel of arbitrators, Arbitration Center of the Chamber of Commerce of Santiago.
- Member of the Legal Committee of the National Mining Association (SONAMI).
- Member of the Inter-Pacific Bar Association (IPBA).
Continues in the next page...