Manuel José BarrosPartner
+56 2 2928 2211
Partner of Carey and co-head of the firm's Environment Group. His practice focuses on environmental law, including the Environmental Impact Assessment System, environmental audits, administrative proceedings and litigation. Also, his practice includes ESG-related-matters, waste management (EPR Law), the development of mining and energy projects and contracts, and regulatory aspects of natural resources.
- Nova Austral, a Chilean salmon farmer and processor owned by Altor, on its defense in five sanctioning proceedings initiated against it by the Superintendence of the Environment due to different alleged infringements at several farming centres, including overproduction, environmental damage and avoidance of the Environmental Assessment System.
- ESSAL on procedures related to inspections and regulatory permits, the strategic assessment regarding water supply, and meetings with the Superintendence of Sanitary Services and the Superintendence of the Environment for the development of its projects.
- Ambipar on the acquisition of 100% of Disal, a Chilean environmental management company, through the acquisition of the Chilean company Disal Ambiental Holding and its subsidiaries in Chile, Peru, Paraguay and Uruguay.
- Melón on a claim for environmental damage initiated by the Quintero Bay fishermen's union against all the companies in the area.
- Sherwin Williams on environmental and regulatory matters and in administrative procedures before different authorities.
- Compañía Minera Nevada on administrative and judicial proceedings before the Superintendence of Environment and the 2° Environmental Court.
- Sichuan Tianqi on the performance of an environmental due diligence process with regards to Sociedad Química y Minera de Chile (SQM), the largest lithium and other non-metallic minerals producer in Chile, in connection with the potential acquisition of an important related company.
AWARDS AND RECOGNITIONS
- Recognized in Environment, The Legal 500.
- Recognized in Environment, Best Lawyers.
- Recognized in Environmental Law, Leaders League.
- Recognized in Environment, Top Ranked Legal.
ACTIVITIES AND MEMBERSHIPS
- Member of the Joint Public Advisory Committee of the Commission for Environmental Cooperation between Chile and Canada (since 2020).
- Professor of Environmental Law, Degree in Environmental Law and Sustainability, Universidad Católica de Chile (since 2017).
- Visiting Attorney at Eversheds LLP, London (2015-2016).
- Internship in the area of financing of renewable energy projects, Gaiagen Limited, London (2015).
- Chief of Staff of the Vice Minister of Environment (2013).
- Chief of Staff of the Director of the Environmental Assessment Agency (2013-2014).
- Teaching Assistant of Environmental Law, Universidad Católica de Chile (since 2012).
- Member of the Chilean Bar Association.
- Co-author of "Towards a Sustainable State: The Role of the Ministry of Environment and Ministry Council of Sustainability", "Temas de Actualidad. Diplomado en Medio Ambiente y Desarrollo Sustentable", Universidad Católica de Chile (2015).
- Author of "Contractual Valuation of a Guarantee over Time. Commentary to a Girona’s Audience ruling dated on September 16th, 2011", "Derecho Corporativo. Jurisprudencia comentada", Thomson Reuters and Legal Publishing Chile (2012).
- Law, Universidad Católica de Chile.
- Master of Science in Environmental Policy & Regulation, The London School of Economics and Political Science (Chevening Scholarship) (2015).
- Degree in Administrative Law, Universidad Católica de Valparaíso (2014).
- Exchange student, University of North Carolina, United States (2009).
- Chile (2012).