Chairman of Carey. His practice focuses on corporate and business law, mergers and acquisitions, project finance, and international arbitration.
Awards and Recognitions
- Lifetime Achievement Award, Latin Lawyer (2016).
- Lawyer of the Year Award in Investment, Best Lawyers (2015).
- Law Firm Leader of the Year in Latin America, Latin Lawyer (2008).
- Lifetime Achievement Award, Chambers & Partners (2007).
- Recognized as Leading Individual in Corporate and M&A, Chambers Latin America.
- Recognized in Corporate, M&A and in Arbitration, Latin Lawyer 250.
- Recognized in Corporate and M&A, Legal 500.
- Recognized as Leading Private Practitioner in Arbitration, LACCA.
- Recognized in Arbitration and Mediation; Corporate and M&A; International Arbitration and Investment, Best Lawyers.
- Law, Universidad Católica de Chile (Ranked highest in his class – Tocornal, Montenegro and Gutiérrez Alliende awards).
- Master in Comparative Jurisprudence, New York University (Fulbright Scholar).
Author of legal publications, including “Debt to Equity Conversion: a Chilean Legal View” (1990).
Frequent lecturer in legal seminars, meetings and conferences both in Chile and abroad.
Activities and Memberships
- Conciliator of the Center for the Settlement of International Investment Disputes (ICSID) in Washington D.C., designated by the Chilean Government (2005-2011) and (2011-2016).
- Member of the panel of arbitrators of the Arbitration Center of the Chamber of Commerce of Santiago.
- Chairman of Moneda Chile Fund; Vice-Chairman of AFP Provida, Quebrada Blanca and Enaex, and Chairman of corporations such as Masisa and Cemento Melón. He is also Chairman of Instituto Libertad, Corporación del Patrimonio Cultural and of Centro de Estudios Internacionales of the Universidad Católica.
- Member of the Chilean Bar Association.
- Member of the International Bar Association.
- Member of the Inter-American Bar Association.
- Former chairman of both the British Chilean Chamber of Commerce and the Canada Chile Chamber of Commerce and former member of the board of AMCHAM.
Continues in the next page...