Juan Ignacio AlarcónAssociate
+56 2 2928 2612
His practice focuses on administrative, constitutional and regulatory law, advising several national and international clients, as well as public entities and state-owned enterprises on all sorts of matters directly or indirectly related to the public sector in Chile, including concessions, public procurement, negotiation and development of public-private associations, litigation before Chilean administrative bodies, ordinary and special courts of justice, the Chilean Public Procurement Court and the Chilean Constitutional Court, legal defense against sanctions imposed by public entities, advice on sectoral regulations in various markets, regarding public policies and legislative matters, as well as issues related to the Chilean Transparency Law.
- Arauco, a relevant forestry company in Chile, on a series of conferences with its Board of Directors regarding the constituent process and the proposal for the new Constitution, including the main issues discussed. The advice included several reports containing a detailed analysis of the potential implications and risks of the new Constitution's rules.
- Strabag, a European construction company with operations in more than 60 countries, on an analysis of the potential impact of the Chilean constitutional process on the construction industry.
- Metrogas, a relevant natural gas distributor in Chile, on a legal report regarding the unconstitutionality of certain rules of the natural gas bill, in relation to the gas market report, which concluded that Metrogas would have infringed Law Nr. 20,999 by raising artificially the price of natural gas and diverted the profitability to its related company Aprovisionadora Global de Energía.
- GNL Quintero on a legal report regarding the proposal for the new Constitution, including an analysis of the main topics discussed and the potential risks and benefits that could affect it from its practical application.
- A renowned Singaporean conglomerate, specialized in engineering and technology and one of the biggest contractors in Asia, on its participation in several international bids for the construction of the new line 7 of Santiago’s public transportation underground system (Metro).
- One of the largest infrastructure concessionaires in Chile on an analysis of potential actions to be exercised with respect to the concession and right of exploitation of duty-free shops at Santiago's international airport.
- Codelco, a state-owned mining company and the world's largest copper producer, on a litigation procedure before the Constitutional Court filed by terminated workers involved in irregularities regarding insurance contracts, during their period as union leaders, successfully achieving the claim to be declared inadmissible.
- A relevant renewable energy company on the design and preparation of a strategy to reverse the new energy efficiency measuring method, which was approved in the recent modifications to the power transfer regulations of the General Law Electrical Services.
ACTIVITIES AND MEMBERSHIPS
- Professor of Comparative Jurisprudence, Universidad Alberto Hurtado (since 2023).
- Journal reviewer of the Chilean Journal of Law and Technology of the Informatics, Law Center of Studies, Universidad de Chile (since 2014).
- Senior Research Analyst, Chambers & Partners, London (2018-2021).
- Chief of Staff, Ministry of Transport and Telecommunication (2014-2016).
- Professor of Transparency in the Public Administration, Universidad de las Américas (2012-2013).
- Professor of Personal Data Protection, Universidad Nacional Andrés Bello (2012-2013).
- Legal Counsel, Council for Transparency (2010-2014).
- Professional Internship at the Spanish Data Protection Agency, Madrid (2010).
- Legal Counsel, Ministry General Secretariat of the Presidency (2007-2009).
- Legal Counsel, Bank of Chile (2004-2007).
- Speaker, conference on “Personal Data Protection: New trends in Chile and in Comparative Law” organized by the Informatics Law Centre of Studies, Universidad de Chile (2014).
- Speaker, XI Spanish American Meeting of Personal Data Protection organized by the Spanish American Network of Data Protection and the Spanish Agency of Data Protection, Cartagena de Indias (2013).
- Law, Universidad de Chile.
- Degree in Constitutional Law, Universidad Católica de Chile (2008).
- Master of Arts in Human Rights, Universidad Carlos III de Madrid (Beca Chile scholarship) (2010).
- Master of Science in Comparative Politics, London School of Economics and Political Science (Chevening scholarship) (2017).
- Chile (2004).