Skip to content
- Mitsui on the acquisition, and corresponding procedure before the National Economic Prosecutor (FNE), of 49% of Inversiones Tajamar´s shares in Inversiones Mitta, parent company of Autorentas del Pacífico, Leasing del Pacífico and Comercializadora Don Carlos, leading Chilean companies in operative leasing and car rental.
- Tianqi Lithium Corporation on the acquisition of a 24% stake of Sociedad Química y Minera de Chile (SQM) for USD4.066 billion. 62.6 million Class A shares in SQM were awarded to a Tianqi affiliate in an auction conducted at the Santiago Stock Exchange (SSE), making it the largest transaction in the history of the SSE.
- The Walt Disney Company on the mandatory merger control procedure before the FNE regarding the global acquisition of Twenty-First Century Fox, including film and television studios and international cable and television businesses, which closed subject to behavioral remedies.
- Banco de Crédito e Inversiones (Bci) on the mandatory merger control procedure before the FNE, regarding the acquisition of the companies that develop Walmart Chile's financial business by Bci and its subsidiary Bci Corredor de Bolsa, together with entering into a commercial cooperation agreement.
- Bekaert and OTPPB on presenting a merger control notification before the FNE regarding a joint venture between two steel rope wire companies. This case represented the first time that the Antitrust Court accepted unilateral commitments undertaken by the parties.
- Fresenius Kabi Chile and Laboratorios Sanderson on a defense against a lawsuit submitted by the FNE for an alleged bid rigging collusion. The FNE accused Fresenius Kabi, Sanderson and Laboratorios Biosano of colluding from 1999 to 2013 on several bids conducted by Cenabast (a Chilean public institution which centralizes the acquisition of medical products for the public sector).
- Mitsui O.S.K. Lines on a defense against a lawsuit submitted by the FNE against several car shipping companies for alleged bid rigging collusion.
- Lazard, a global asset management firm, on the acquisition of the remaining 50% stake of MBA Lazard, its Latin American financial advisory business.
- Mitsui & Co. on the acquisition of a 23.4% equity interest in Salmones Multiexport (Salmex), a subsidiary of Multiexport Foods.
- Procter & Gamble (P&G) and Merck on the mandatory merger control procedure before the FNE regarding the potential global acquisition of Merck’s consumer healthcare business by P&G, subject to regulatory authorizations in different countries. During the investigation, the FNE examined possible conglomerate effects in connection to the pharmacy channel, but finally discarded any serious competition concerns and granted a clearance decision.
- Canada Pension Plan Investment Board on the acquisition of a 49.99% stake in Grupo Costanera, the Chilean unit of Italian motorway Operator Atlantia, for USD1.125 million.
- CTI (Electrolux) on a claim filed by the FNE against Tecumseh do Brasil and Whirlpool before the Antitrust Court for incurring in cartel practices in order to fix prices of refrigerant compressors. This was the first leniency case in Chile. CTI intervened in the proceeding as a third party, jointly with the FNE.
- Codelco and Complejo Portuario Mejillones on a proceeding before the Antitrust Court regarding the requirements of the public tender of Mooring Station N°1 of the Antofagasta Port.
AWARDS AND RECOGNITIONS
- Recognized in Competition and Antitrust, Chambers Latin America.
- Recognized in Antitrust and Competition and Corporate and M&A, Latin Lawyer 250.
- Recognized in Competition and Antitrust, The Legal 500.
- Recognized as Thought Leader in Antitrust & Competition, LACCA.
- Recognized in Competition and Antitrust, Corporate and M&A and Investment, Best Lawyers.
ACTIVITIES AND MEMBERSHIPS
- Member of the Antitrust Committee, Chilean Bar Association.
- Member of the Chilean Bar Association.
- Professor of Economic Law, Universidad de Chile (2013-2014).
- Co-author of the Chilean chapter, Cartels & Leniency, ICLG (2020).
- Co-author of the Chilean chapter, Overview of Competition Law in Latin America, IBRAC (2016).
- Co-author of the Chilean chapter of Merger Control, Getting The Deal Through (2012-2016).
- Co-author of the book "Dumping and Disloyal International Competition" (1995).
- Frequent lecturer in seminars and conferences in Chile and abroad.
- Law, Universidad de Chile.
- LL.M., Harvard University (1993).
- Course "Politics of Global Finance", London School of Economics and Political Science (1993).