Regarding the State of Catastrophe and sanitary alert decreed in Chile in the face of the COVID-19 pandemic, on Sunday 22 March 2020, the Chilean Government announced the following 12 measures:
- Strict quarantine for the extreme-South city of Puerto Williams (except for essential cargo freighting).
- Strict sanitary customs in the aerial and maritime crossing to the city of Puerto Williams.
- Tightening of sanitary customs procedures for the island of Chiloé, in Southern Chile.
- Quarantine line (cordon sanitaire) around the city of Chillán, in southern central Chile.
- Prohibition to travel to vacation homes (located in areas where there is a high density of vacation housing).
- Instruction for the return to cities of origin for individuals that had gone out of town to vacation spots; return must have been achieved by no later than Tuesday 24 March at 10 p.m.
- Tightening of measures applied by all sanitary customs already established.
- Mandatory quarantine for everyone arriving in Chile, whatever the spot of origin.
- Curfew throughout national territory between 10 p.m. and 5 a.m. as of Sunday, 22 March 2020.
- In a week’s time, inception of quick testing to detect carriers who may not have yet evidenced symptoms. Testing points yet to be informed.
- Individuals tested positive that do not observe the quarantine instruction or who cannot meet such instructions may be registered into premises specifically prepared for their mandatory quarantine period.
- Establishment of strict control in the Santiago boroughs of Providencia, Las Condes and Vitacura to ensure individuals instructed to go into quarantine observe the measure.
AUTHORS: Ignacio Gillmore, José Ignacio Mercado.