Partner of Carey and co-head of the firm’s Litigation Group. His practice is primarily focused on the areas of litigation, national and international arbitration, corporate law, securities, and business law.
Awards and Recognitions
- Recognized as Leading Individual in Dispute Resolution, Chambers Latin America.
- Recognized in Litigation, Latin Lawyer 250.
- Recognized in Arbitration and Mediation and Litigation, Best Lawyers.
- Recognized in Litigation, Who’s Who Legal.
- Law, Universidad Católica de Chile (admitted with the school’s highest entrance score in 1987).
- Best student award (1987 – 1991).
- University Merit Award for being the best student of Universidad Católica de Chile (1989).
- Ranked highest in his class – Montenegro, Tocornal and Gutiérrez awards.
- LL.M., Harvard University (Fulbright and Presidente de la República scholarships) (1997).
- Author of the article “The arbitration agreement in Chilean law: its nature, requirements and effects”, published in Arbitration Treaty, The Arbitration Agreement, Grupo Editorial Ibañez: Pontificia Universidad Javeriana de Colombia and the Peruvian Institute of Arbitration.
- Author of the chapter “International Commercial Arbitration in Chile: legal framework and jurisprudence”, published in International Commercial Arbitration in Latin America: Legal framework and jurisprudence, Wolters Kluwer group, Madrid, 1st edition (2009).
- Op-ed writer of El Mercurio Legal, Contracts and Torts series (permanent).
- Lecturer in the 8th Americas Workshop organized by the Institute for Transnational Arbitration (ITA), Santiago (2012).
- Speaker in the seminar “New ICC 2012 Arbitration Rules”, organized by the International Arbitration Court of the ICC (2012).
- Lecturer at the Workshop on International Commercial Arbitration organized by the School of International Arbitration, Queen Mary University of London and the Arbitration Center of the Santiago Chamber of Commerce (2011).
Activities and Memberships
- Professor of Civil Law, Universidad Católica de Chile (since 1997).
- Foreign associate, Cleary, Gottlieb, Steen & Hamilton (New York, 1998 – 1999).
- Member of the panel of the Arbitration Center of the Santiago Chamber of Commerce.
Continues in the next page...